The Virupaksha-Pampa sanctuary predates the Vijayanagara Empire itself. The concept of the temple directly denotes the All-encompassing formless Observer within Human Beings. This temple is located on the bank of the Tungabadra river, is the ancient functioning temple in India, that uninterruptedly received worship since the 7th century AD.
It was commenced under Lakkana Dandesha, a chieftain under the Vijayanagara Empire during the reign of Deva Raya II. The temple was once a centre of attraction in the city of Vijayanagara where its ruins can be found here and there. The Temple complex has three towers and Shiva is the central deity here called Virupaksha. The temple Elephant Lakshmi is adored here that it blesses the visitors before reaching the sanctum sanctorum.
Even after the takeover of the city in 1565, the temple survived the invaders despite some carvings were deliberately vandalised. The later rulers in the 18th and 19th century renovated the ceilings and structures of the temple. One of the main attractions is that a narrow channel of the Tungabhadra River flows along the terrace of the temple, it descends to the grand-kitchen and flows out through the outer courtyard. Emperor Krishnadevaraya constructed the central pillared hall along with many additional structures.
– Viswanath Venkat Dasari
Image Courtesy: Wikipedia